Monday, March 9, 2009

The first week

So I've been here about a week and a half now, though I'm still in the stage when it seems like so much longer. This isn't a bad thing, it's just strange to think that Thursday before last I had never been to Tübingen; now it already feels like home. This is probably in part due to my many years of moving experience -- I generally find it fairly easy to settle into a place -- but there's something about this town that is so comfortable and homey. I almost wonder if it has to do with distant, mostly forgotten memories of when we lived just a little north of here in Spangdalem, or maybe it reminds me more of Charleston than Nottingham did. Whatever it is, I love it.

The first few days were spend camping on Susanne's couch. We had a great time, and if it hadn't been for her, I'm sure my first impression of Tübingen wouldn't have been nearly as positive. Although she did lead me astray once (coughmenstoilettecough), having a Tübingen resident as a guide was wonderful. And of course, having her as a friend is even better :)

The past week has been a busy one, as I started my Deutsch-Kompakt course. It involves a lot of classtime - I leave my Wohnung at around 8.30 and get back at 4.30 or 5 - but we also have a lot of extra-curricular activities, which means I get to meet people. I have yet to spend an evening sitting forlornly alone in my room wishing I had something to do. I was reallly nervous that I'd be completely overwhelmed with the language, but it has actually been fairly easy. I'm getting over my fear of speaking German, though I have a general anxiety when it comes to speaking to anyone I don't know, whatever the language, so I doubt that will be overcome. How anyone can learn a language without spending an extended period of time immersed I'll never understand.

Anyway, I don't have too much to relate yet. My class is going to a place called Blaubeuren this weekend, so hopefully I'll have something interested to report afterward. And as usual, I'll post some photos:


A view from Schloss Hohen Tübingen


The Neckar River in late afternoon.


Schloss Hohenzollern

A wintery view from my balcony. Yes, balcony.

The D-K group at a Schwäbisch Gasthof yesterday

1 comment:

Sissy said...

hey sweetie - thanks for the update and awesome pix!! I love it that you are having such a great experience - Oma is smiling!!