Thursday, June 14, 2012

Sophie


Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not very demonstrative. Hell, I'm such a WASP that following the loss of several close family members, I didn't even want to talk about my feelings with my therapist. (Needless to say, my bout with therapy was brief).

Two days ago, my dog Sophie died suddenly. She was a part of our family for a short time, not even a year and half, but she was the most loving, trusting creature I've ever known. She didn't have any reason to be; before we rescued her, she was found tied up and covered in ice. She didn't know how to use the stairs because she'd never been inside. She hadn't even had grass, just a cement slab. 

But that's why pets are so special. They don't hold grudges. They don't really even expect anything from us. They sit with us and play with us and love us and let us love them. It's a simple relationship but a beautiful one.

No comments: